- 1 cup potato starch (I use Bob’s Red Mill flours)
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup sorghum
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups organic evaporated cane sugar
- 8 ounces Earth balance Soy Free Spread, room temperature PLUS extra for greasing cake pans
- 1/2 cup organic light brown sugar, packed
- 3 organic large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (I use Nielsen Massey)
- 2 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 6 bananas)
- 1 cup vegan sour cream ( I use Way Fare)
- 1 10 oz bag gf/df/sf chocolate chips (I use Enjoy brand)
- 1 3/4 cups organic creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups organic powdered sugar
- 7 oz Earth Balance Soy Free Spread, room temperature (leave out for an hour)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Extra Chocolate Chips for decoration, optional
You will need: Two cake pans, 8 inch round by 2 inches deep and Pastry Star Tip (I use Kaiser 45-9)
- Preheat Oven Temperature to 350 degrees F
For the Cake:
- Line the bottom of the round cake pans with parchment paper (I use precut ones sold at baking stores), grease cake pans, also under parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flours, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment on medium high speed, beat sugar, Earth balance, and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating to blend after each egg, then add vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Mix on low speed, just to blend.
- Add mashed bananas and sour cream; mix until just blended.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly among the two cake pans. Smooth tops.
- Bake cakes for 35 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to wire racks.
- Let it cool in the pans for 15-30 minutes.
- Invert cakes onto the wire racks; peel off parchment paper and let it cool completely, about an hour, before frosting.
For the Frosting:
- Using an electric mixer, or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat peanut butter, powdered sugar, Earth balance, and vanilla extract until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Place 1 cake on a platter.
- Spread 1 1/4 cups of frosting for the inner layer.
- Place the other cake on top.
- Frost the top and sides with remaining frosting.
- Pipe along the bottom edge with a star tip.
- Chill frosted cake for 2-3 hours to set.
- Garnish with chocolate chips.
- Serve chilled or room temperature. Chilled will result in a firm peanut butter frosting.
- For mess free decorating, put two halved sheets of parchment paper (cut apart) next to each other on the cake platter before putting the cake on it.
- Slowly pull out from opposite ends of the cake when done piping.
Yield: Serves 8-10 slices