- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, chopped (1 large stalk)
- 1/3 cup carrot, chopped (1 carrot)
- 1/3 cup chopped small mushrooms, such as cremini
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1.5 cups chicken meat, shredded
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Melt butter in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, and mushrooms; sauté for 6 to 7 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add chicken broth and stir until thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken, Parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool in the refrigerator about 30-45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, flour a work surface and roll out one of the pie crusts. Using a rolling pin gently roll out the dough just enough to lay flat and smooth.
- Invert a 5-inch diameter bowl on the dough and cut individual discs (each pie crust should yield 6).
- Place ¼ cup of filling on one side of the circle. Fold over the dough to form a pocket, making sure that all the mixture is inside and toward the center. Using a fork, crimp the edges to form a seal.
- Pierce each pie on top twice with a fork to allow the steam to escape. Beat egg with water and brush each pocket. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Yield: 12 individual pocket pies