- 350 g 45% dark chocolate
- 200 g plain flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150g soft unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 60 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- 200g marscarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 8 waxy, non-toxic leaves
- Take everything out of the fridge so that all the ingredients can come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line and butter a 24cm springform pan.
- Melt 350 g of the chocolate using either a double boiler over water, or by heating it in a microwave in 30 second intervals.
- Brush the melted chocolate onto the waxy side of the leaves, and leave to cool in a fridge or freezer until the chocolate sets. You can peel off the real leaves afterwards, leaving just their chocolate clones.
- Mix the flour, sugar, salt and bicarbonate soda in a large bowl and beat in the soft butter until you have a combined and creamy mixture.
- Now whisk together the yogurt, eggs, vanilla paste and olive oil and mix together with the dry ingredients. Mix in the chocolate too.
- Pour this batter into pan and bake for 40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool a wire rack 10 minutes before turning out. Let the cake cool for at least another 30 minutes so the icing doesn’t melt.
- To make the icing, dissolve the coffee in the boiling water, then beat the coffee syrup, sugar and Marscarpone together until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the icing over the top of the cooled cake and top with the chocolate leaves.