- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 pounds 1- inch-thick short ribs
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 cups #strong freshly brewed coffee
- 14 -s 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- #Chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Heat oil in a large heavy stockpot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle short ribs with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add ribs to pot and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to platter.
- Add onion, red bell pepper, and jalapeño to drippings in stockpot. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally, about 6 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and sauté uncovered 1 minute.
- Add brown sugar, ancho chile powder, oregano, and cumin; stir 15 seconds. Stir in coffee, tomatoes with juice, and tomato paste. Bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Return ribs and any juices to pot; bring to boil.
- Cover and bake until meat is very tender, about 1 hour 45 minutes. Spoon fat from surface of sauce. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer ribs to a platter and spoon sauce over top.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.