- 1 Tbs of olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 400 grams of ground, lean beef (beef mince)
- 1 Tbsp of cornstarch
- 3/4 cup of beef stock
- 1/8 cup of tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp of Wocestershire sauce
- 1 tsp vegemite or substitute 1 vegetable stock cube
- 4 sheets frozen, ready-rolled pie pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 small pie tins & baking tray
- Tomato sauce (ketchup)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and fry for 3-4 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Add ground beef and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring and breaking up with a wooden spoon until browned.
- Combine cornstarch and 1 tablespoon of beef stock and stir well. Set aside.
- Add remaining beef stock, Wocestershire sauce, tomato paste and Vegemite to beef. Stir well to combine. Add cornflour mixture and stir. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes or until thick. Remove from heat and cool.
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Place a pie tin on pastry and cut a circle around it. Repeat process to make another 3 circles — these are the pie tops. Set aside.
- Place pie tin on pastry again and cut a circle that’s slightly larger than tin (about 1/2 inch bigger) — this is the pie base. Repeat process to make another 3 bases.
- Press base pastry into pie tins and press up the sides. Fill with meat mixture. Brush rims with water.
- Place pie tops over meat. Use a fork to press edges to seal. Trim edges if necessary. Brush tops with egg.
- Place pies on to a baking tray and bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Serve with tomato sauce (ketchup).