- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 quarts strawberries, stems & leaves removed, sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 stick of butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 jumbo eggs, separated
- cup sugar
- cup sifted powdered sugar
- Marsala wine to sprinkle on top
- Whole strawberries to garnish and serve on the side for those who want extra berries.
- Gently mix the strawberries with the first 1/3 cup of sugar.
- Chill for 1 to 2 hours. Drain and reserve the juice.
- Use two 9″ round cake pans.
- Using 1/2 Tbsp. of butter for each pan, spread the soft butter evenly around the entire pan; set aside.
- Blend the flour, baking powder, salt, 1/3 cup sugar in a large mixing bowl; with a pastry blender, cut in the remaining butter until mixture is well blended (will look a little lumpy, and that’s OK).
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites.
- Set the egg whites to the side for the final step of shortcakes.
- Combine the 2 egg yolks with the milk.
- Add to flour mixture.
- Stir with a fork until a soft dough develops.
- Evenly place dough into each of the 2 pans and with your fingers, gently spread to the sides.
- Dough is very moist so use a little butter on your fingers to spread the dough.
- It looks thin, but it rises nicely.
- Beat the 2 egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Brush each of the dough surfaces with the beaten egg whites. Sprinkle the last 1/3 cup of sugar evenly on top, splitting the sugar between the two doughs.
- Bake in a 450 degree oven for 11-12 minutes (and no more). Remove the shortcakes from the pans and cool completely on wire racks.
- Beat the whipping cream until foamy; gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate. Spread half of the whipped cream over first layer.
- With a SLOTTED spoon (for juice drainage) arrange half of the sliced strawberries on top.
- Place the second shortcake on top and repeat the whipped cream and strawberries.
- Savie the strawberry juice and servie it on the side with whole strawberries (or It can also be saved for a strawberry shake or smoothie).
- Sprinkle a little bit of Marsala wine on top of your shortcakes to your preference level.
- Serve extra whipped cream and vanilla ice cream with the strawberry shortcake.