- 2/3 pound of fettuccine, pericatelli or bucatini (dried, not fresh)
- 2 very fresh eggs
- 1/4 pound pancetta, cubed
- 1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated (plus more for topping, though that’s optional)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk the eggs, season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper, as the latter will provide the carbon look so classic to this dish, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in salted water until a minute shy of al dente, reserving a ladle or two of the salted, starchy water.
- Then get to browning some pancetta and garlic, then adding a bit of pasta water and then the cooked pasta.
- Remove from the heat and crack in some eggs, stirring to cook them, and season with salt and pepper.
- Finish with the Parmigiano Reggiano, stir to combine, and serve immediately.