- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Boiling water
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
For the Caramel:
- Combine 1 cup sugar and water in medium, deep, heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved, about 2-3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, and boil, without stirring, until caramel turns a copper brown color, anywhere from about 10-15 minutes.
- Using oven mitts, quickly and carefully pour the caramel over bottom and sides of a 10-inch metal pie plate or a flan mold. That caramel will be screaming hot!
For the custard:
- Combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, pumpkin puree, 1/4 cup sugar, eggs, cornstarch, spices and vanilla in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Strain custard mixture through a sieve over the caramel, into the pie plate or mold. Arrange in a large roasting pan lined with a clean dish towel.
- Pour boiling water into the roasting pan until it comes about halfway up the side of your flan vessel. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. The center of the flan should still jiggle a little when nudged. Cool for about 30 minutes. Chill in the fridge for several hours or overnight.
- To unmold, run a sharp knife around the rim of the mold and gently shake to loosen. Invert onto a serving plate.