- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup long grain rice, not converted or instant
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (one lemon)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Garnish with sliced lemon and parsley
- In a pot, of course, bring broth to a boil and pour in the rice. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 25 minutes, until rice is just tender. Do not over cook.
- Meanwhile, whisk the yolks and lemon juice together in a small bowl.
- When rice is done, remove from the heat and slowly, beating madly all the time, ladle about 2cups of the broth into the egg/lemon mixture. Then whisk that back into the big pot with the rice/broth in it. Pour slowly and beat so as to keep those yolks from curdling.
- Return pot of soup to the stove on medium heat and let it heat up until just steaming:don’t let it boil.
- There you have it. This soup is good hot or cold. I like to make it with homemade broth in the summer because the stock thickens when cold.