- 6 cups vegetable, chicken, veal, or 1 teaspoon dried oregano crushed (or 1 tbspn fresh oregano)
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated dry bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove pressed
- Beat the eggs, cheese, bread crumbs, and garlic in a small bowl. Bring the stock to a boil, add the crushed oregano, reduce the heat, and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium, then stir the egg mixture into the stock with a long wooden spoon, so as to cause long egg strands.
- Serve immediately, garnishing with fresh oregano or parsley – or by floating a round, paper thin lemon slice on top.
- Serve hot to 4 to 6 people.
- Comments: Like Stracciatelle, this Italian egg soup can serve as a light opener to spur the appetite.