- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour Blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Buttery Sweet Dough Flavor (optional, but adds that signature bakery taste)
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Lemon curd :
- one batch Easy Microwave Lemon Curd
- Meringue :
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Bakewell Cream or cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 F . Use a 12 – cup muffin tin with mini muffin paper cups in it and spray them with cooking spray.
- Combine the cake flour blend, salt, baking powder, sugar, butter, vanilla, egg, buttery sweet dough flavor baking soda and 1/3 of buttermilk in the bowl of mixer.
- Mix on med. speed for 2 min until smooth.
- Add the left 1/3 cup buttermilk in the mixture and mix again on med. speed for a minute.
- Pour the mixture in the muffin tin until 2/3 full. Bake for about 15 min. When ready transfer to a rack and let them cool.
- Make the lemon curd according to instructions and set aside.
- When the cupcakes cool, use a cupcake corer and make a small space in the middle of each one. Fill all with the cooled lemon curd.
- Beat Bakewell Cream ( or cream of tartar ) and the egg whites in a bowl. Add the salt, then the sugar, raise the speed and beat until smooth.
- Top the cupcakes with the meringue and broil until brown.
Yield: 12 cupcakes.