- 1 1/4 cups blanched almond flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch or arrowroot flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk, or preferred milk alternative
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance (vegan) butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set out butter to bring to room temperature. If needed, put in the microwave for just a few seconds.
- Whisk together the blanched almond flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder until there are no lumps and it turns into one beautiful flour.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then, add the eggs one a time scraping down the bowl as necessary. This helps the cupcakes have a more even texture.
- Beat in the vanilla and lemon juice.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk alternative in about 3 additions. I’ve read that you alternate the wet and dry ingredients to reduce the amount of gluten that is formed to make whatever you are baking less dense. But I still like this technique and it helps get a smooth batter with less mixing.
- Line a muffin tin with baking cups and fill each cup 3/4 full. My batter made 9 cupcakes.
- Bakes 18-20 minutes or until the tops start to turn brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on cooling rack for at least 30 minutes before icing.